Moldovița Monastery is a Romanian Orthodox monastery situated in Vatra Moldoviței,
in Suceava County, Moldavia, Romania.
It was founded as a protective barrier against the Muslim Ottoman conquerors from the East. Moldovița's frescoes were painted by Toma of Suceava in 1537.
They are filled with yellow accents and are well preserved. The predominantly yellow-and-blue paintings on its exterior represent recurring themes in Christian Orthodox art.
The building of this monastery comes in line with a tradition set up by Stephen the Great , the King of Moldavia from 1457 until his death in 1504.
The Monastery of Moldovița was built in 1532 by Petru Rareș, who was the illegitimate son of Stephen the Great.
Petru Rareș, who ruled Moldavia from 1527 to 1538 and again from 1541 to 1546, promoted a new vision for Bukovina churches.
He commissioned artists to cover the interiors and exteriors with elaborate frescoes. The best preserved are the monasteries in the towns of Sucevița, Moldovița, Voroneț, Humor, Suceava, Pătrăuți, Arbore and Probota.
These eight monasteries including the Monastery of Moldovița were placed on UNESCO World Heritage list in 1993, as the Painted churches of Moldavia.